Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Today I have been reminded not to take simple things for granted. How many times a day do we stop to think "I'm lucky I have hands that are able to move" or "I'm so grateful I can walk"? If you're like me, then the answer is, not many. Today my mom had a little run in with our electric hedge trimmer. Her tendon was cut, which will probably require surgery and, from what I hear, it could take awhile for her to be able to move her finger like normal. As for now, her finger is wrapped and has a splint, which is severely limiting her movement. At first I kind of chuckled as my mom asked me to do simple tasks for her, but now I'm starting to think that this has to be really frustrating. Even the easiest things that we usually do without realizing take some major thinking outside the box.

My second point is that my parents have done so much for me, I should start being a little more thankful. When my mom first asked me to help her, I'll admit I was a little annoyed at the thought of having to do everything for her in the next week. Then I thought about how many times I had been sick or something and she has done absolutely everything for me. I also realized that it's the little things that can make our parents happy. All I did was buy some flowers and Matthew got her favorite candy. My mom looked like she could cry. But, I suppose that could have been either the pain or the painkillers...that would be my guess. In the end I guess it really is the little things that matter the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment