Sunday, May 31, 2009

Writings on a Shampoo Bottle & then some

I found this on a shampoo bottle and I think it's worth sharing:

Life is a classroom. We are both student and teacher. Each day is a test and each day we receive a passing or failing grade in one particular subject: grace. Grace is compassion, gratitude, surrender, faith, forgiveness, good manners, reverence, and the list goes on. It's something money can't buy and credentials rarely produce. Being the smartest, the prettiest, the most talented, the richest, or even the poorest, can't help. Being a humble person can and being a helpful person can guide you through your days with grace and gratitude.

And then some:
Today I witnessed, and I suppose took part of, a situation that has left me a little frustrated. I saw a group of people confronted with an opportunity to become involved in something only to have that idea discussed in a way that made me a little ashamed of myself. Here is a group of adults being asked to reach out to others within our church, as if this should be someone's job. Then a little grumbling started about the time commitment, which, by the way I understand the other implications about what was being asked. Yes it is a time commitment but I just sat there thinking, "Should anyone really have to be asked to do this?" Of course, I couldn't say anything because I'm guilty of it myself. I'm so comfortable with this little niche I've carved out that I fail to recognize others who are still trying to find their place. I could make many excuses, in fact that's what I did for awhile: "I'm hardly ever here", "Adults don't really care what I have to say", and the list went on. I suppose, however, that these things shouldn't really matter. And that I can't sit there and expect people to do something that I've failed at myself. Hopefully, once it is thought over, people will realize that being friendly and welcoming doesn't have to be a job. You never know what you might learn or what kind of relationship can be forged by taking that first step towards someone you don't already know. Maybe that sort of goes along with grace: do something because you see a need, not because someone asked you to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment